Maker Bee


Some New Stuff
June 25, 2005, 10:51 am
Filed under: sticks & string, wire & beads | Tags: , , , ,

I finally got the bracelet that Marie has been bugging me for since Christmas. I had given it to her over 3 months ago but the stupid 11 dollar clasp that I bought for the damn thing wouldn’t stay fastened. At all. So I had to cut it out and replace with another 10 dollar clasp. This one is much better. Marie (My Louis Vuitton Friend) loves it and says that it looks JUST like one she saw in Tiffany’s. Hmmp! Who new I was such a trendy and stylish jeweler. Regardless, this is the third one of these that I’ve made and I’m pretty done with them. They aren’t difficult, just a little tedious and time consuming.
Mesh Bracelet
I wish the color looked a little more like sterling… as it is it kind of looks like tarnished silver. The last little thing that I wanted to post about was my Kool-Aid yarn dying experiment. I got a wool sweater from SalVal and unraveled it, tied it into hanks and tried out the tying with my newly fixed microwave.
KoolAid Yarn
I like the blue green piece the best, but of course that is the smallest hank. At least I know what colors I like now and I can do a larger batch of that if I get an itch to die something again. The yarn smells a little vinegary now but I’m planning on knitting it up and felting it so that should be taken care of.



Monday, Monday la la, la la la la…
June 20, 2005, 8:44 am
Filed under: sticks & string | Tags: ,


The weekend was eventful. Lot’s o drinkin’ less o sleepin’ I did successfully manage to unravel my first Goodwill sweater for recycling the yarn. Here it is drying in my bathtub.
Ramen Noodle Yarn
I measured it all into hanks and ended up with just a little under 400 yards. Which dumbfounded me cause I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how the long sleeve turtleneck that I ripped up was made out of just 400 yards of yarn. Plus I wouldn’t be able to finish the cardigan I wanted to make from the cover of the current issue of knit.1. Of course a few days later I sat down on my futon and hidden from the muffins was a partially unraveled sleeve and a whole pile of unravel, unwashed, unmeasured yarn. I am going to try and clean that stuff up soon…
I also wanted to post a pic of my first completed sweater which I finished about a month ago when my recent knitting kick first appeared. It’s the minisweater from
Glampyre.com:Boobholder
I’m pretty proud of it but I haven’t worn it yet. It really is a bit too big for me. I think I increased a bit to much around row 21. I ended up making it a kind of double-breasted deal, but the waist is still a little loose in real life. I used Mode Dea Cache yarn which does contain a good deal of wool so I think I will try to block it and see if I can get it to work any better for me.